𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐁𝐚𝐲 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬 𝐚 𝐃𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐄𝐱𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐃𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫
Back Bay Mission has a simple mission: to strengthen neighborhoods, seek justice, and transform lives. We 𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑒𝑛𝑔𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑛𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑏𝑜𝑟ℎ𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑠 through ministries like our education and empowerment programs and our housing rehabilitation program. These vital ministries help the people we serve to be a part of and build their communities on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. As volunteers take what they learn at Back Bay Mission home, they have the opportunity to strengthen their own neighborhoods. We 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑘 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑒 by helping the people we serve become more involved in their communities, educating people about the realities of poverty, and advocating on behalf of marginalized people in our community. All of our programs 𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑠𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑚 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑠. Whether helping a homeowner keep their home, mentoring a single mother as she plans her path out of poverty, or working with an intern considering a career in social work, Back Bay Mission makes the lives of the people we serve better.
The Executive Director is the management leader of Back Bay Mission. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
● Responsible for leading Back Bay Mission in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
● Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support the work of Back Bay Mission
● Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Back Bay Mission including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization
● Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintains the organization in a positive financial position
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
● Responsible for implementation of programs that carry out the organization’s mission
● Responsible for strategic planning to ensure Back Bay Mission’s sustainability into the future
● Responsible for the enhancement of Bay Back Mission’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working collaboratively with other professional, civic and private organizations
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure the ongoing operation of the organization.
● Responsible for hiring, leading, inspiring and retaining competent and qualified staff
● Responsible for effective administration of Back Bay Mission’s operations
● Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments on behalf of the organization
𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐋 𝐉𝐎𝐁 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐄𝐒
● Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and increasing the overall visibility of the organization
● Supervise and collaborate with organization staff
● Lead strategic planning and implementation
● Lead planning and operation of annual budget
● Serve as primary advocate for the Mission’s constituents to the media and the general public
● Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the mission
● Engage in fundraising and developing other revenues
● Oversee marketing and other communications efforts
● Oversee organization’s Board and committee meetings
● Establish employment, administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the Mission
● Review and approve contracts for services
● Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
● Represent the Mission to constituencies along the wider MS Gulf Coast community and in other religious denominations
𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐅𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐃
● Master’s degree or higher in social work, community development or related field. A Master of Divinity degree desirable
● Affiliation (lay or clergy) with the United Church of Christ is preferred
● Transparent and high integrity leadership
● Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience
● Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors
● High-level strategic thinking and planning with ability to create a shared vision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, Board, volunteers and donors
● Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community
● Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
● A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results
● Active fundraising experience with excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community
● Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers
● Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
● Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Strong public speaking ability
● Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy
𝑺𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝑰𝒏𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔/𝑹𝒆𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒆𝒔/𝑻𝒐: 𝑭𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝑯𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍– 𝒇𝒎𝒉𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒍9@𝒈𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒍.𝒄𝒐𝒎 228-235-5369
The deadline for submission is Tuesday, September 15, 2020.